Techie Talks

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Scheduler issue

Problem
A goodie that I have been looking for quite sometime is a nice little scheduler that can be updated online, exported offline and sync-ed when I go online again. If you have a server running Exchange Server (and you have an account in that :P), its a piece of cake. But, unfortunately, thats not the situation at hand with me.

My office-mate suggested getting a BlackBerry 7100g cellfone which has a nice scheduler. Great idea, yet I am a fan of freebies or at least semi-bies, not ~200$-bie!

Solution
So, here is a possible solution I came up with. I have Microsoft Outlook 2003 running at both my office and home. I am planning to make use of its export/import feature, use email as the exchange medium (or flash drive!) to move the schedule to and from home and office as .csv files. I guess I will be doing this for the Tasks and Calendar folders.

Future Work
1) I need to create a small tool that does this sync-ing automatically, probably using a new Office addin for Visual Studio 2005

2) Create a small tool that can read/write entries on the .csv files so that I can use it on comps where Outlook is not available.

3) Have an online read/update site on this .csv file. Questions (other than how?): Where? (Read: Server)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home